Our modern society is faced with challenges in energy, environment, and resources. The chemical industry for hydrogen production, for example, is highly energy intensive and also causes serious environmental issues. There is an urgent need of technological transformations in the chemical industries for building a sustainable energy future. At ShanghaiTech, our research group are working on unconventional electrochemical materials and sustainable processes to enable energy, environmental and electronic technologies. Our current projects include:
1. Catalytic synthesis of fuels: designing, preparing and characterizing catalysts and reactors for producing gas fuels.
2. Critical metals extraction and recycling: developing energy-efficient and environmentally friendly electrochemical processes for materials extraction and recycling.
3. Complex oxides for energy and electronic applications: materials synthesis, control and characterization of electronic and ionic properties, and nanofabrication of field-effect devices.
We are looking for postdoctoral fellows, graduate and undergraduate students who are highly self-motivated to carry out high-quality experimental work. Please contact me through email if you are interested.
围绕能源、环境和资源利用中的一些关键问题，课题组以电化学为中心提出并探索解决方案。课题组欢迎对 "电化学工程", "催化", "金属元素回收" 或 "功能氧化物薄膜材料"感兴趣的博士后、研究生和本科生加入我们，有意者请直接邮件联系。
Papers: (# co-first authors; * corresponding author)
1. J. Ni, J. Zhou, J. Bing, and X. Guan*, Recycling the Cathode Materials of Spent Lithium-ion Batteries, under review in ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, (2021).
2. Z. Tang and X. Guan*, "Lithium Extraction from Molten LiOH by Using a Liquid Tin Cathode", Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, doi: 10.1007/s40831-021-00339-1, (2021).
3. Q. Yang#, C. Zhou#, J. Ni, and X. Guan*, "Methane Dry Reforming in a Coking- and Sintering-Free Liquid Alloy-Salt Catalytic System", Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 4, 2768-2774, (2020). (Selected as part of the themed collection: 2020 Sustainable Energy and Fuels HOT Articles)
4. C. Fleuriault*, X. Guan, and J. Grogan, "Extraction and Recycling of Battery Materials", JOM, 71, 4445-4446, (2019).
1. “基于液态合金催化合成氨的方法”，专利申请号：202011192018.8, (2020).
2. “一种常压下催化合成氨的方法”，专利申请号: 202011196497.0, (2020).
3. “一种回收利用废旧锂电池正极材料中金属元素的方法”，专利申请号: 202011044244.1, (2020).
4. “一种用于甲烷干重整反应的反应体系”，专利申请号：202010760417.3, (2020).
5. “一种催化剂及其制备方法与应用”, 专利申请号：201911377049.8, (2019).
Work before joining ShanghaiTech:
1. X. Guan, B.C. Enalls, D.R. Clarke, and P. Girguis, "Iron Sulfide Formation on Iron Substrates by Electrochemical Reaction in Anoxic Conditions", Crystal Growth & Design, 17, 6332-6340, (2017).
2. X. Guan, J. Jiang, J. Lattimer, M. Tsuchiya, C. Friend, and S. Ramanathan, "Hydride-Based Solid Oxide Fuel Cell-Battery Hybrid Electrochemical System", Energy Technology, 5, 616-622, (2017).
3. S. Lee and X. Guan, "Cerium Silicate-Based Thin Film Apatites: High Conductivity and Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Application", MRS Communications, 7, 199-205, (2017).
4. S. Su, U. Pal, and X. Guan, "Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process for Aluminum Production: Experiment and Modeling", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 164, F248-255 (2017).
5. Z. Zhang, F. Zuo, C. Wan, A. Datta, J. Kim, J. Rensberg, R. Nawrodt, H.H. Park, T. Larrabee, X. Guan, Y. Zhou, S.M. Prokes, C. Ronning, V.M. Shalaev, A. Boltasseva, M.A. Kats, and S. Ramanathan, "Evolution of Metallicity in Vanadium Dioxide by Creation of Oxygen Vacancies", Physical Review Applied, 7, 034008 (2017).
6. M. Zhang, X. Guan, and J. Howarter, "Recent Developments in Deriving Values from Resource Recovery at Multiple Scales", JOM, 69, 1537-1538 (2017).
7. J. Jiang, X. Guan, J. Lattimer, C. Friend, A. Verma, M. Tsuchiya, and S. Ramanathan, "Experimental Investigation into Tungsten Carbide Thin Films as Solid Oxide Fuel Cells", Journal of Materials Research, 31, 3050-3059 (2016).
8. Y. Zhou, X. Guan, H. Zhou, K. Ramadoss, S. Adam, H. Liu, S. Lee, J. Shi, M. Tsuchiya, D.D. Fong, and S. Ramanathan, "Strongly Correlated Perovskite Fuel Cells", Nature, 534, 231-234 (2016).
9. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, Y. Jiang, and S. Su, "Clean Metals Production by Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process", Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, 2 (2), 152-166 (2016). (Feathered as Cover Article)
10. S. Lee, X. Guan, and S. Ramanathan, "Thin Film Oxy-Apatite Anodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells", Journal of Electrochemical Society, 163 (7), F719-727 (2016).
11. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, "Design of Optimum Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Cells for Metals Production", Progress in Natural Science: Materials International, 25 (6), 591-594 (2015).
12. X. Guan, S. Su, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Periodic Shorting of SOM Cell to Remove Soluble Magnesium in Flux and Improve Faradaic Efficiency", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 45 (6), 2138-2144 (2014).
13. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Environmentally Friendly Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process for Magnesium Oxide Reduction: Experiment and Modeling", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions E, 1 (2), 132-144 (2014).
14. E.S. Gratz, X. Guan, J. Milshtein, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Mitigating the Electronic Current in Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis for Magnesium Production", Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, 45 (4), 1325-1336 (2014).
15. Y. Jiang, J. Xu, X. Guan, U.B. Pal and S.N. Basu (2013), "Production of Silicon by Solid Oxide Membrane-Based Electrolysis Process", MRS Proceedings, 1493, 231-235 (2013).
16. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, S. Gopalan, and A.C. Powell, "LSM (La0.8Sr0.2MnO3-δ)–Inconel Inert Anode Current Collector for Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160 (11), F1179-F1186 (2013).
17. X. Guan, U.B. Pal and A.C. Powell, "An Environmentally Friendly Process Involving Refining and Membrane Based Electrolysis for Magnesium Recovery from Partially Oxidized Scrap Alloy", JOM, 65 (10), 1285-1292 (2013).
18. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, P.A. Zink and A.C. Powell, "Recycling of Magnesium Alloy Employing Refining and Solid-Oxide-Membrane (SOM) Electrolysis", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 44 (2), 261-271 (2013).
Graduate Students: Yang, Qinghai | Wang, Xingyuan | Tang, Zujian | Tang, Qijuan | Ni, Jihong | Zhou, Jiayin | Meng, Xian.
Undergraduate Students: Zhou, Congquan | Shi, Yue | Chen, Huiqi | Bing, Jinhong.
(Group photo taken on 2021/01/18. From left to right: Congquan, Zujian, Jihong, Jinhong, Yue, Huiqi, Qijuan, Jiayin, Xian, Qinghai, Xingyuan and Xiaofei.)